We cannot remodel the master bathroom because of the Santa Clara County Department of Planning’s inability to do its job in a timely fashion. This means we cannot address the long standing issues with the shower (see image to left) let alone get rid of a sink and move a toilet. Nor can we move the doorway and thus turn the odd hallway with two reach-in closets into a true walk-in closet. All those things require a permit and we cannot get a permit until the saga of the pit is closed. Plus how’s this for a fun fact: in some cases changing the color of your home’s exterior requires going through the full permitting process down at county….no joke! Painting interior walls does not currently require a permit from county and since we’re not sure how long that will still be the case, we took advantage of this oversight to recolor our bedroom walls.
Our room and ensuite bathroom were still the original mucky barf brown chosen by the previous owners; plus it had large white patches from where the walls were opened up to install the mini splits; plus we had to patch the gaping hold left by one of the twelve TVs the previous owners liked to watch. (They didn’t have twelve TVs in our bedroom, but they did have that many scattered throughout the house, studio building and garage.) I contacted our regular house painter and he was able to squeeze us in which meant I had to decide on a color fast.
I went with a shade of white that isn’t warm and isn’t cool, but more of an almost purple color: Wishful Blue is what Sherwin Williams call it. I again made use of their ColorSnap app and once again the end results are pretty close to what it predicted.
Here are some pics of the planning process.
Before the walls could be painted there was a lot of prep work to do. Mostly a lot of masking before the trim could be painted, but there was also the matter of the assortment of RJ11 jacks in the walls. While there were just three in one corner, getting rid of them required a bit of serious patching and we had no spare bits of drywall. Thankfully our nearest neighbor came over and used his mad contractor skills and mixed up a small amount of drywall mud and quickly filled in the holes.
A few days later the space was transformed.
And to drive the point of how lovely our room is now, here’s a before and after gallery. You may notice we rearranged the furniture as part of this project.
And one more gallery to show the imagined and reality.