Purgatory

Closet of Doom

IMG_2555When we moved in we discovered one thing that neither the inspections nor the previous owners had noted: the fact that the closet off the great room was severely water damaged from a past leak and the bar for hanging items and shelves above it were unable to actually hold any weight.  Fixing the closet ended up on the back burner for quite a while as we needed to find someone competent who could rip out all the drywall and rebuild things.

Needless to say whenever we walked past the closet a little bit of our brains shook their heads disapprovingly.  While the roof above it was taken care of last summer after we took possession of the house, the unusable space grated on us.  As luck would have it, the contractor I hired to dig the trench for the new hot tub’s electrical was interested in the job.

So a quote was given and we said “yes please.”  He arrived one morning and set to work.  The first order of business was ripping out all the old damaged bits.  Here are some pics of what was underneath. First a shot of the bottom corner.  He had to rebuild the bottoms of the studs since they were so damaged.

IMG_2744

The ceiling beams were also in pretty bad shape, but we decided to box in the ceiling instead of trying to pull out the existing beams as that would take a monumental effort.  Here’s a shot of the old beams behind the frame work for the new ceiling. (He did clean them up a bit.)
IMG_2747

The damage went all the way through the teak flooring.  Here’s a shot of some of the mess we found.IMG_2746

We had been told by the POs that they had spare teak bits somewhere, but when we moved in those spare bits were no where to be found.  I scoured the stables and garage but came up empty handed.  We figured they had taken any such spare bits with them, as after all, these were the people who just had to remove all the custom window coverings (not the blinds but all the valances and some drapes) leaving behind so many ugly staples, gaping screw holes and chipped paint that we just shake our heads.  Think I’m kidding?  They even took the little valences across the tops of the windows in the studio: no doubt to sell on Craigslist or Ebay.

IMG_2773Well I had given up hope on finding the spare teak when I suddenly remembered a small pile of random stuff above the panic room door. (Now when I say panic room don’t think state-of-the-art structure just like in a movie–this is a tiny closet located within a closet that can be locked from the inside.) So we got a ladder and poked around at what was above the panic room.  We found spare bits of carpeting, some really ugly wallpaper that we’re thankful does not appear anywhere in our house, and the spare teak bits.  They were still in their original shipping box and, per the newspapers packed in with them, they’d been ordered over twenty years ago–late summer of 1995.


IMG_2767So we had options and our contractor continued to work on the closet.  It ended up taking him an extra day, but here is the end result:

And a shot of the new boxed in ceiling.IMG_2768


We decided in the end though not to use teak for the replacement floor for the closet.  Agent Smith located the left over bamboo from when my office and the blue room had their floors redone and there was just enough to put down in the closet.  We’re going to save the teak we have so that we can properly repair the area just outside this closet as well as another area elsewhere in the great room as both were severely damaged by leaks during the POs tenure here.
IMG_2769


There you have it: the mini saga of an annoying thing that is now fixed–pretty much sums up most of the posts here–but one last final pic of the closet now partially filled with Agent Smith coats and racing gear.

IMG_2783

 

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x